Head of Communications
Over the last decade, Rhino Africa has established itself as Africa’s leading luxury safari company. Between our offices in Cape Town and our properties across Southern Africa, we currently employ more than 200 international staff, operating daily in English, German, French, Spanish and Portuguese. Each year we tailor-make luxury safari holidays for 15000 clients from 30 global markets, relying on 2000 unique partner and supplier relationships to make our customers’ dreams come true. Under the Rhino Africa umbrella, we also sponsor and co-ordinate 5 major conservation and education initiatives on the continent.
At the core of Rhino Africa’s continued success is the ongoing innovation that drives our in-house marketing agency. At our offices in Gardens, Cape Town, we house our very own internal web development agency, a copywriting & PR firm, a digital marketing consultancy, as well as a specialized product and relationship management division. Now, for the first time, we are looking to appoint a Head of Communications to be the focal point of these divisions. Reporting directly to our CMO, our new Head of Communications will be the face and voice of Rhino Africa’s internal and external correspondence, the authority on company PR and the senior reporting manager for all of our written content creators.
As Rhino Africa’s chief ambassador and spokesperson, the Head of Communications will work in-office to cover the following responsibilities:
- Managing the workload, budget and recruiting efforts for employees and reporting managers from these business units: 1. Content Creation & Storytelling; 2. Social Media; 3. PR & Communication
- Liaising with PR agencies, carrying out press events and generating press releases
- Improving and innovating internal communication with Rhino Africa stakeholders and external communication with Rhino Africa’s clients and partners
- Producing and distributing engaging content to drive brand awareness and performance
- Analyzing campaign performance and the impact of different social media channels according to target market(s)
- Defining and implementing a holistic social media strategy to manage Rhino Africa’s reputation across all public channels
- Working closely with the SEO team to increase traffic to Rhino Africa’s website
We are looking for a charismatic, authoritative and experienced communicator who possesses:
- At minimum, a BS/BA degree in Communication, Marketing or Business majors (or a related field)
- At least 3 years of experience in a digital industry or relevant sector, including the successful management of multiple teams and numerous employees
- An excellent grasp of (and flair for) English. Knowledge of German, French, Spanish or Portuguese, or a secondary local language, would be a big plus
- A thorough understanding of MS Excel and Google Analytics
- A good understanding of the Facebook advertising suite
- A basic understanding of SEO
Please note that only previously disadvantaged South African candidates (PDIs) will be considered for this position.
- Uncomplicated flat hierarchies, a culture of open and direct communication and honest feedback
- Competitive salary and 20 days paid vacation
- Office space in the heart of Cape Town, one of the world’s top destinations
- The Rhino Cafe, offering subsidized freshly ground coffee and gourmet meals